Today, Andy Gene Strickland, wanted to briefly discuss the E-2 visa process.
Foreign nationals from certain countries that have an E-2 treaty with the United States are eligible to apply for an E-2 visa at a US Embassy abroad or to change status if physically present in the United States.
The basic requirements for an E-2 visa are:
1) You must be from a country that has an E-2 treaty with the U.S..
2) You must be willing to manage and control your business
3) The investment must be “substantial” given the size and scope of the investment and
4) Funds you invested for the E-2 must be “at risk” funds that were not gifted and from a legal source
5) the business enterprise must be more than for self employment.
Looking for a business to buy is very important as well as having a solid business plan for a new business. Look at tax returns, the number of employees, purchase orders, the lease, etc. Due do diligence This office has experience with multiple restaurants, nail salons, and a printing business.
A start up for an E-2 is possible and the same requirements must be met. Husbands and wives of the primary applicant are eligible to receive a work authorization card (EAD) and children can stay on the E-2 of their parent until they turn 21. This type of visa has many benefits to those who want to own and operate a business, but don’t have larger money needed or the desire to go through the EB-5 route. If you have any questions, feel free to call: